Which eDoc to Use
While this list is not comprehensive, we’ve provided the most commonly used eDocs for staff and part-time employees as well as certain academic transactions.
Note: Administrative Post, Renew/Mass Renew Contract, and Create Summer Pay documents are used exclusively for academic positions. For assistance regarding these transactions, contact your campus Academic Affairs office.
Person eDocs are used to create or update biographical/demographical data in HRMS usually based on information from the Personal Profile Form. Person eDocs route directly to final approval (IU HR or Academic Affairs) after initiation.
Add New Person: Use when individual has had no previous employment or affiliation with IU
Note: Effective September 30, 2023, the Add New Person eDoc is not necessary for Staff Hires. Refer to the Ready for Hire Training page for more information.
Note: Creates a University ID number.
- Use Person Inquiry from the HRMS Portal to search for existing UID.
- If the person has worked for or been a student at IU, he/she likely has an ID and does not need to be added. Use Maintain Person instead.
- The effective date may be today or in the past but cannot be after the date of hire. An employee must be a person in the system before he/she can be hired.
- National ID = Social Security Number
- This document routes directly to HR final approvers for verification and finalization.
Maintain Person: Changes to some personal data, such as IU Office Address and Primary Name
Employee Activity eDocs
Employee Activity eDocs are used to hire, terminate, transfer or a variety of other actions related to employee activity
Hire Employee: Hire temporary, work-study, and academic employees.
- All Staff hires will be processed through TAM into PeopleSoft HRMS beginning September 30, 2023. Hire eDocs for staff positions will no longer be necessary. Please refer to the Ready for Hire Training page for more information.
- The below information is still applicable to Part-Time (formerly Temporary) hires:
- If the person has no University ID, complete an Add New Person eDoc before initiating a Hire.
- Employee must have a HOME and IU OFFICE address on file before you can complete Hire. You may need to do a Maintain Person eDoc to add this information.
- Effective date = employee’s start date.
- Physical Work Location controls which state the employee will be taxed in (e.g. if the employee commutes to IN, use IN, but if they work from another state use that).
Transfer Employee: Move a person to another position, usually a result of posting a vacancy and recruiting.
Note: All Staff transfers will be processed through TAM into PeopleSoft HRMS beginning September 20, 2023. Refer to the Ready for Hire Training page for more information.
Types of Transfers: refer to the chart of Transfer eDoc Action Reasons
- Staff to Academic
- Temp with Retirement to Staff
- Demotion: downward movement within the same career path
- Career Shift-Demotion: movement from one career path to the other (individual contributor vs people leader path)
- Career Shift-Lateral
- Promotion: upward movement within the same career path
- Career Shift-Promotion: movement from one career path to the other (individual contributor vs people leader path)
- Academic to Staff
- Temp to Temp with Retirement position (final approver use only)
- Within Hourly: transferring from one temp position to another
Leave of Absence: Employee takes a leave of absence, either paid or unpaid, full or partial
Used once all time off benefits have been exhausted and employee will continue to be in no-pay status for 30+ days.
- Discretionary Leave: Initiate for when employee will be without pay, authorized in advance, for 30 calendar days up to a year. May be initiated after FMLA leave is exhausted.
- FMLA leave: Initiate when employee has exhausted accrued time off AND will then be out of pay status for 30 or more days. Document effective date as the first date of unpaid status.
- Partial Leave: Initiate when employee’s FTE is temporarily reduced to less than 100% but greater than 0%
- Military Leave: Initiate when employee has exhausted 15 day paid military leave benefit, and, if desired, accrued time off.
- Employees MUST be returned from each initiated leave before a new type of leave may be initiated. If the expected return date is being extended for a particular leave, complete a Maintain Job Date eDoc to update this value.
Return to Duties: Return an employee from leave
Return an employee from leave, short work break, or suspension to active employment status. Employees MUST be returned from each initiated leave before a new type of leave, or termination, may be initiated.
Short Work Break: Place an employee on unpaid break in employment
Place an employee on unpaid break in employment for temporary reduction in force (30-90 days) or 10-month positions not following the academic year. Typically involuntary. May also be used for paid administrative leave for staff. Short work breaks are managed in full month increments.
Short work break instructions (coming soon)
Suspend Employee: Suspend an employee with or without pay
Contact IUHR Employee Relations via before using.
Terminate Employee: Employee separates from the university whether voluntary or involuntary
- The effective date should be the day AFTER the last day worked.
- Be mindful of the Action Reason – some reasons require additional documentation and/or are ineligible for rehire. When in doubt, check with Employee Relations.
Mass Terminate Employees: Terminate many employees from a pooled position
- Cannot terminate more than 30 records on one mass document.
- Effective date should be the day AFTER the last day worked.
- Apply additional search criteria for TIME work area or payroll voucher code to narrow your results.
Maintain Pay Rate: Change the rate of pay for an employee
- Adjustment. Used to change rates of employee, typically part-time employees. Rarely used for Staff employees.
- Change in Standard Hours (for monthly paid pay groups only). Should reduce the monthly compensation amount accordingly.
- Apprenticeship Step Progression (specific position types)
- Step Progression (specific position types)
Mid-Year Pay Adjustment
Separate eDoc to be used for Staff employees in a variety of circumstances such as Counter Offers, Higher Level Responsibilities, Re-classification, etc.
Guidelines for Mid-Year Pay Adjustments (Non-Union Staff)
Mass Maintain Pay Rate: Change the rate of many employees in a pooled position
Cannot adjust pay for more than 30 records on one mass document. Apply additional search criteria for TIME work area or payroll voucher code to narrow your results.
Maintain Funding: Update payroll or accounting values for employees NOT using Kuali TIME
Such as account numbers, voucher codes, funding types, and percentages for account distribution for employees NOT using Kuali TIME.
Maintain TIME Assignment: Update payroll or accounting values for employees using Kuali TIME
Used to update payroll or accounting values such as account numbers, voucher codes, funding types, and percentages for account distribution for employees using Kuali TIME.
Maintain Job Data: Correct pay rates, change standard hours, change tax location, or update an expected return date
Correct a pay rate, change a biweekly paid employee’s standard hours, change a job tax location, or update an expected return date from leave, suspension, or work break
- To give an employee a mid-year adjustment or adjust pay following a position reclassification, use Mid-Year Pay Adjustment eDoc.
- Most other job related values (title, location, reporting relationships, etc.) are maintained on the employee’s position. Complete Maintain Position eDoc to update these items.
- To adjust standard hours for monthly employee, use Maintain Pay Rate eDoc.
Page updated: March 2022
IU Human Resources